Pixabay ID 210194 ©


Pregnancy test

If you suspect that you might be pregnant, you can take a pregnancy test before going to the gynaecologist. The test is available at all pharmacies and drugstores (dm, Kaufland etc.).

See how to use a pregnancy test at home in this video.


The first visit to the gynaecologist

Call your gynaecologist immediately if the result of your pregnancy test is positive. You will be given an appointment. During pregnancy, you will be regularly examined by doctors. This means you have to visit your doctor every 4 weeks, later every 2 weeks. You will get your appointments from your gynaecologist.

Drink enough water before going to your gynaecologist. You must pass urine every time you visit your doctor.

If you are pregnant, your gynaecologist will give you a pregnancy record booklet (Mutterpass).


What is a Mutterpass?

The Mutterpass or pregnancy record booklet contains every result of preventive examinations, data about your health and accompanies you until birth. You must always have this passport with you!

An example: You fell on the street. If you have your Mutterpass in your pocket, people or doctors will know that you are pregnant and will treat you correctly.

Every time you visit a gynaecologist, you must present your Mutterpass.

Find out more about the Mutterpass in this article.


What does a midwife do? Where can I find one?

A midwife (Hebamme) will support you during pregnancy (preventive examinations) and after birth (postpartum care). Once you have found your midwife, you can turn to her for any questions, concerns, problems etc. you may have. They also offer birth preparation courses.

You have to hurry when looking for a midwife. Because most of them are already fully booked. If you are planned to give birth in summer, it is more difficult to find a midwife during this time because many are on holiday. It's best to start the search for a midwife already at the beginning of your pregnancy during the 6th or 7th week. On (in German) you can find midwives by postcode or town. You can also always ask your gynaecologist for more information.


What is a birth preparation course?

A birth preparation course provides you with information on body work, breathing exercises, breastfeeding, breastfeeding preparation, baby care and the baby's everyday needs. You can relax there and talk to other pregnant women. The birth preparation course also gives you the opportunity to talk to your midwife about your questions, joys, fears and insecurities.

You have to register early. Many birth preparation courses are often quickly booked out. Information on birth preparation courses can be obtained from your midwife or gynaecologist, in clinics, in midwife practices, in birth centres or in family centres.


Where do I apply for an initial equipment grant (Zuschuss zur Erstausstattung)?

State aid and foundations offer subsidies of approximately 750-900 € for the initial equipment of a baby. If you are entitled to social benefits (unemployment benefit II, Hartz IV) or have a low income, you can apply for initial equipment. It is important that the subsidies are applied for between the 15th and 25th weeks of pregnancy.

You can get help and advice from pregnancy counselling centres at Diakonie, Caritas , AWO or ProFamilia. Take your Mutterpass, identity card and proof of income, such as your latest tax return, o your appointment.


Giving birth

You can give birth in a hospital, in a birth centre or at home. Talk to your midwife about this! Your husband or a confidant can support you ´in the delivery room. During childbirth you will be supported by midwives and doctors.

If the birth is carried out in a hospital, you should call the hospital in the 30th week and ask whether a registration is necessary. Not every hospital offers prior registration!

Some clinics offer special information events for expectant parents. Taking place in the evenings, you will receive important information about birth procedures, and get to visit the delivery room.


Formalities after birth

Birth certificate

Within 5 working days you must report the birth to the registry office in the place of birth. Here you will receive your baby's birth certificate. In many maternity clinics it is also possible to register the child at the registry office.  For the registration you need the birth certificate of the clinic, identity cards and the marriage certificate. If you are not married, you must have a certificate of paternity recognition.

Health insurance 

Inform your health insurance company about the birth of your child!

Apply for child benefit

You apply for child benefit and, if applicable, the child supplement at the family benefits office  (Familienkasse) of the employment agency (Arbeitsagentur).

Apply for parental allowance

Find your relevant parental allowance office here.

Was this article helpful for you?

Artikel teilen