Things to know about using face masks
In everyday life you often find yourself in situations where you cannot keep the distance of 1.5 metres to other people. One example of this is when you travel by public transport. In order to be able to protect yourself from the corona virus in such situations, a face mask is useful.
However, there are a few things to consider. We have collected some information for you to protect yourself and other people better.
Where can I get a mask?
- Normally, you can buy a mask at a drugstore or pharmacy. As masks are in short supply at the moment, you can also find an alternative yourself: On the Internet you can find many instructional video on how to sew a face mask yourself. On the website of alvivi there is already an article about it.
How do I put the mask on correctly?
- You should wash your hands before putting it on!
- You should only touch the mask by the straps on the side.
- If the mask has a nose clip, it should be adjusted to the face.
- Interfering hair can be tied into a braid when putting on the mask.
- The mask should fit tightly to the face. Sometimes this is difficult, for example if you have a beard. You have to tie it tightly or shorten the beard. No air should get in at the sides.
What do I have to consider when wearing the mask?
- Even if you can protect yourself with the mask, you must still keep at least 1.5 metres distance from other people and wash your hands frequently.
- You should not touch the mask while wearing it.
- You should sneeze into the crook of your arm despite the mask.
- You should not pull the mask down over your chin and then put it back on again.
- You should not take the mask off somewhere in between and put it on again later.
- If the mask has become wet, it should be replaced.
How do I remove the mask properly?
- You should only touch the side straps of the mask when taking it off.
- Do not touch the outside of the mask.
- After taking off the mask, wash your hands immediately.
How can I clean the mask?
- A sewed mask can be washed at 90° in the washing machine or it can be boiled in a pot for 5 minutes.
Overall, the most important rules still are: keep your distance and wash your hands frequently. This is the best way to protect yourself. The masks should only help in situations where you cannot keep the distance.
Take good care of yourself and stay healthy!